Saturday, August 29, 2015

First Day of College!

The first day of college was extremely thrilling and nerve racking. As I walked into my first English class, I could feel the nerves of every student vibrating around the classroom. We began by simply reviewing the course syllabus. Then we were instructed to write five adjectives to describe to another for the situations of being a potential roommate, date, or employee. My adjectives are as follows:

Date:
-attractive
-outgoing
-caring
-compassionate
-loyal

Roommate:
-clean
-early bird
-clean
-social
-loud

Employee:
-team player
-hardworking
-organized
-leader
-determined

Our group was easily able to differentiate between these three rhetorical situations because every situation was different. Someone searching for a roommate would most likely not be looking for one that describes themselves as "determined" or "compassionate". One must put into perspective how to use language to their benefit in certain situations. A few weeks ago, I was attempting to persuade my sister to do her summer reading so she could go out with me. My sister was the audience and my mother told her she could not go out unless she had read fifty pages of her book. I made a plan for later that evening, telling her if she finished her reading, our friends would be going to the pool and then out to get ice cream. This strategy was very effective because my sister didn't want to miss out on all the fun, so instead of sitting around wasting time watching Netflix all day, she read fifty pages and was able to come along. It is very easy to use language to work to your advantage in situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment