Sunday, November 1, 2015

My Proposed Public Argument

Our impending English project is the Public Argument! We are supposed to think of a subject and make an argument about either by writing a paper, creating a powerpoint, making a blog, movie, photo essay, or anything creative! I had two ideas originally about what I wanted to write about. First, I was considering arguing that poodles are the best dog to invest in. If I were to argue this, I would discuss the history of the standard poodle, why they are a family friendly dog, and emphasize the fact that they don't shed! My other idea was to discuss why skiing is better than snowboarding while emphasizing the lawsuit against Alta, an all skier resort in Salt Lake City Utah, for banning snowboarders from their slopes. After considering both topics and discussing the two ideas with my teachers, I decided to write about skiing!

I'm still unsure of the genre I want to use for my topic. I was considering making a powerpoint. This would be effective in the sense that I could discuss many different topics briefly. Furthermore, I could add short videos on some of the slides about the dangers of snowboarding. A powerpoint would also allow me to discuss the pros and cons of skiing and snowboarding which helps me recognize the counter argument. Furthermore, I grew up skiing in Salt Lake City. I skied at resorts such as Brighton, Solitude, and Deer Valley, which all allow skiers and snowboarders. However, I currently ski at Alta, so I have a personal experience with all the resorts that I can discuss. Not only this, but I have tried snowboarding as well, so I have that experience to discuss too.

The message I will be trying to convey is that skiing is better, safer, and a better option that snowboarding. Furthermore, I will be arguing that Alta should be able to ban snowboarders if they choose because it is their resort and they are paying for the land. There are many other resorts snowboarders can use, so one resort should not be a huge problem. Not only this but if snowboarders are so upset that they cannot ski at Alta, they can make their own resort which doesn't allow skiers. The audience of my topic will be snowboarders, those deciding whether or not they should learn to ski or snowboard, and anyone involved in the Alta skiing/snowboarding controversy. The purpose of my argument is to convince everyone that skiing is a better option than snowboarding and that Alta can make whatever rules they choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment