Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Prewriting Techniques

For our upcoming paper, we were asked to use a few prewriting techniques to get the juice flowing. The techniques I used were SOAPStone, an outline of information we discussed in class, and an observation and inference chart. I used SOAPSTone because it allowed me to understand the simple knowledge of my essay. I identified the speaker, occasion, audience, purpose, subjects, and tones. This allowed me to get a better idea of the material and it showed me exactly what I was working with. The outline from class is necessary because not only does it have many questions I can consider discussing in my essay, it has many different view points based on my peers from class. These questions and view points will allow me to look at my subject from a different perspective or give me further insight to what I am trying to argue. Last, the observation and inferences chart allowed me to dive deeper into my material and really think about what the commercial means and why is important.
This is the link for my prewriting strategies
I commented on Cait Krutilla's blog and Davis Lee's bloghttp://davislee97.blogspot.com/2015/10/pre-writing-activities-for-like-girl.html?showComment=1444787107292#c337138001012061600

2 comments:

  1. Good post and document, however I did notice some things. I may be wrong, by I strongly believe that the observations and inferences chart doesn't need to just focus on SOAPSTone. For the SOAPSTone paragraph, some explanation for why you think some parts, such as subject and tone, are what you say they are. The last thing is rather minor, but I don't know if the top one can be considered an outline versus a list of observations, inferences, and pondering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the detail that you put into your pre-writing, the fact that you used items from class discussions, and even questions from the Student's guide book to guide your thought process even expanding beyond the commercial to other commercials. To add to your list of other observations outside of SOAPSTone, you can take into account how the commercial was made and how this affects the message/purpose and/or tone. You may incorporate something about the staging, music, camera angle, etc. You seem to have the analysis part down and now just need to gather the visual/textual/auditory evidence to back up those claims.

    ReplyDelete