Monday, September 21, 2015

Peer Review and Revised Thesis

Friday in class, we printed out our rough draft of our QRG. Then, we exchanged papers and read each others and peer reviewed them. We focused on sentence structure, the thesis of the paper, and if the writer provided strong examples to back up their argument. This exorcise was extremely helpful and showed me things I needed to fix in my paper and new ideas to try. 

First, I recognized that I needed to change my thesis statement. Although the original statement held the ideas I was trying to prove, it was extremely confusing and didn't make much sense. In order to revise it, I shortened it while rewriting it completely. This allowed me to have a fresh start and different ideas. I also tried to keep it somewhat broad rather than extremely in depth. My new thesis statement is much stronger and it gets straight to the point, explaining exactly what I am arguing. 

Second, those who revised my essay helped point out that I needed more subheadings. I only had two originally in my first draft. I wrote my QRG as if it was a long essay rather than splitting it up into subheadings. It is important that I made this correction because if people want to find information fast about my topic, it would be rather difficult to do with a large essay. Therefore, I split my paragraphs up and added more subheadings. 

Third, when my peers were done correcting my paper, I noticed many "E's" written on the sides and under quotes. This is because of the PIEIE process. By writing an "E", my peers were telling me that I was using strong evidence to support my argument. These markings also allowed me to breath and showed me that I was actually doing something correctly. Furthermore, we will begin to make much more drastic changes in class which will overall help my paper abundantly.

New Thesis: Violent video games can have a negative effect on gamers however research shows that they can have a positive effect as well.


 I commented on Katie Lista's and Michael Gee's blog explaining what I thought their thesis' would be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment